Good morning all!
Today is my 4 month surgiversary and I wanted to share a little info with anyone
on the board who may be considering WLS.
I am 5'6" and carried around 250 pounds for over a decade. I couldn't cross my
legs. I couldn't paint my toenails or even put on socks without getting out of
breath. My feet and knees ached when I walked. I couldn't get down on the
floor because I'd NEVER be able to get back up again! I was terrified of flying
for fear that I'd have to ask for an extension for the seat belt. Plus I barely
fit in the seat! I became more and more reclusive because I hated the way I
looked and the looks I got in public from the "normal" people. But I didn't
DARE diet because every time I lost 2 pounds, I'd gain back 3. That's how I got
to 250 in the first place!
I hated clothes shopping because even if they did make cute clothes in a size
2X, the wouldn't LOOK cute once I got them on.
Then my doctor told me that I was pre-diabetic. That was it. I had to do
something so I started to research weight loss surgery. My closest friend said
"I don't care what you do; I will support you 100%. Just do SOMETHING - I don't
want you to die."
Wow.
I talked to people who had WLS in the past to find out if they'd do it again.
Even though these ladies had not lost all the weight they wanted, they both said
it was the best thing they'd ever done for themselves.
I joined ObesityHelp and stalked the boards. I read everything I could find.
And I was blessed to find Dr. Aceves. The more I read about him, and about the
hospital in Mexicali, the more convinced I became that this was the right choice
for me.
I found out that small companies don't even have the OPTION of including
insurance coverage for WLS, and that no one in my family was in a position to
help me financially. But I was determined not to let that stand in my way. So
even though the interest rate was going to kill me, I decided I would put the
cost of the surgery on a credit card.
I booked my surgery date and used airline miles to pay for the trip. Then came
the hard part - telling my mom.
She had the reaction I expected - "Are you CRAZY?????!!!!"
Well, it took about 6 weeks of answering her questions, biting my tongue to
remain civil, and pointing her to the internet so she could do her own research,
but she finally decided that perhaps I WASN'T insane.
June 16th, 2010 changed my life forever.
Cut to today: I am now down to 195. I haven't been in "ONE-derland" in over a
decade! I can now shop in the MISSES section instead of the WOMEN'S section. I
can cross my legs. I can paint my toenails. I can get down on the floor AND
back up again! I can walk my dogs and go shopping with my girlfriends because
my feet and knees no longer ache! I no longer feel self-conscious in public. I
feel FANTASTIC. I can eat pretty much anything I want now. My new tummy (I
named her Tina - the tiny tummy) doesn't like some things but that's okay. This
is a re-learning process and if Tina doesn't like rice - so what? I can live
without it. My tastes HAVE changed - as I was told they would. I now crave
fish - used to barely tolerate it! I never crave fried foods anymore and they
were a staple in my diet. I am still learning to eat slower and chew more
thoroughly. I am excited about the rest of my journey as the weight continues
to melt away slowly but surely.
I have blood work scheduled for next week so I'll find out how I'm doing now
with my blood sugar, cholesterol, and vitamin levels but I feel SO GOOD I just
know I'm doing better.
So - to make a long story even longer - if you are sitting on the fence,
wondering if this is the right thing for you, I offer a resounding YES!!!
No matter the cost, no matter the hurdles, no matter the barriers you must crash
- save your life and do this for yourself! The only regret you will have is
that you didn't do it sooner.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment