Thursday, June 24, 2010

To anyone considering sleeve surgery

To all of you about to go to Mexical - if you have not already done so, you
should join ObesityHelp.com. It's free but you'll find TONS of support and
info.
My username on there is "boernecheryl". Do a search for me, go to my "page" and
look for PHOTOS on the left side. I took pictures of the hotel room, the
hospital room, and the drive.
Here are a few things I would do differently if I could do it over again:
1) TRAVEL LITE!!!!! You do not need pj's or robe - they will give you a
hospital gown. You can ask for another one and slip in on like a robe. You can
wear home the clothes you worn in. Wear flip flops and you can wear those in
the hospital. All you need is your passport, some spending money, a toothbrush
and comb, clean underwear and a heating pad. Maybe a good book. Trust me - you
will NOT want to schlep a bag thru the airport after surgery. You can swipe the
shampoo from the hotel and use it at the hospital when they let you have your
shower. TRAVEL LITE but do NOT forget your heating pad!!!
2) I went alone but if I did it over, I would find someone to go with me. It
would have been so nice to have someone to wet a washcloth for me after surgery
so I could wipe my face; to pick up things I dropped; to help me in and out of
bed the first 2 days. This IS major surgery and getting up and down isn't fun
the first couple of days.
3) Arrange for 1st class for the return flight home. If your flight is already
booked, see if you can upgrade when you print out your boarding pass. Depends
on how full the flight is. Also arrange for a wheelchair to move you through
the airport(s). You'll be glad you did.
And don't worry about Mexicali. You are about to meet some of the nicest people
on the planet. Ernesto, who will pick you up from the airport, is a sleeve
patient himself and LOVES to show off his before picture. He's a wonderful man
and very funny. Be sure to tell him Cheryl said hello!
The anesthesiologist, Andres, is going to spend 30 minutes with you explaining
every single thing he is going to do, how he's going to do it, and why he does
it. You'll never find treatment like this in the states.
Dr. Aceves will talk to you about the procedure, and what you have to do to make
this tool work.
Then you will meet Dr. Campos. OHGosh! I am in love with this man. This is
the nicest, most compassionate doctor I've ever met. And he is outside your
door from 8AM to at least 6PM every day. You cannot ask for better care. He
also is a sleeve patient. Oh, and if you really want to see his face light up,
ask him about his new baby!
After surgery, be sure to ASK for pain meds; they aren't going to automatically
bring them or offer them. STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN and ask for a pain pill at
least every 6 hours. It is not narcotic and not habit-forming and it won't make
you "stupid" so DON'T do without!
The day after surgery is brutal. You will NOT feel good. But you won't be in
pain unless you fail to ask for pain meds.
The next day you will feel SO much better it will amaze you. And each day after
that gets better than the day before.
Congratulations on your new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment